Monday, March 26, 2012

Buena Gente

From Jason:


If I could write a book about my life right now, it would be entitled “Buena Gente.”

Not because I think I fit the description, but because I am surrounded by buena gente. It has come to define mine and Kelly’s life lately.

Kim and Carol - doing the dirty work, no questions asked.

Tammy and Barbara – the two angels in the chemo lab that take care of Kelly.

Grand and Papaw – who have been ever present and spared no expense.

Nana and Pops – for making sure that someone is there to cheer for my kid at the baseball game.

Ken, Sheila, Blake, Brandon and Bradley – I know that no small amount of tears have been shed and prayers lifted up. I know it kills you to be miles away.

The “PTA” (you know who you are) – for the gift of laughter that is in short supply at Medical City.

Matt – for coming to my party and cleaning up after my guests at my house like they were your guests at your house.

Matt, Kris, Greg, Joe and Blake - for letting me be the head coach when I can but taking up the slack when I can’t.

Todd and Kelli – I can’t seem to get away from you guys (and glad of it) no matter which ballpark I’m at – Craig Ranch, Triple Creek, Waggoner – and always offering words of encouragement and support.

Greg H. – for insisting that I keep and drive his car while he’s making sure Kelly’s rattle trap is still running, and for not bustin’ my ba**s since the oil hasn’t been changed for 8,000 miles.

Greg B. – for staying late at the clinic and teaching us how to give Kelly her shot. Yes, Kelly gets medical attention at a veterinary clinic.

Kyle and Julie (and Jackson and Griffin) – for knowing just what Kel needed – care and rest in your beautiful home on a rainy day while the kids just got to be kids.

Marc and Sandra – for adding one more girl to your family. You know you can’t keep her, right?

Marc – for throwing BP to the Stewart boys (plus Cole).

Kris – for being on the top of the “Mexican jail” call list. Don’t worry, I doubt I’ll ever be incarcerated across the border, but you gotta have a list of names you’d call just in case…

Trent – we reconnected just in time after all those years.

Milwaukee Brewers – they’re probably all wondering who Kelly is and why they needed to send her a get well card, but I know that if they knew her they’d do it gladly.

Marshals – thanks for the game ball with the autographs from all the future major leaguers!

Big STIX and Little STIX – I still get the greatest joy out of hitting fungo to my kids and their friends.

Allen – for allowing God to speak to me through you.

Christian and Kimberly – I know you’d move heaven and earth for us. We may still ask you to in the end.

Kevin and Blake – for loaning your wives to help keep my household running, and for big strong arms embracing me.

Gayla – for Kellybridge. It is bigger than all of us put together. It has reached and touched so many.

Dan and Dunc – for making the pilgrimage, for making it easy, for not having to “catch up” in spite of all the miles between and time gone by, for making me laugh.

So many more that I didn’t mention – the smallest gesture of kindness does not go unnoticed.

All of you – for loving one another and coming together in spite of differences, for defying the cynicism of our age, for loving me when it’s really my wife that drew you near in the first place.

And finally Kelly – I’ve learned more about being a husband, father and friend from you than anyone else. I love you more now than ever. I wouldn’t trade one minute of my life with you, no matter how dark, no matter how hard, for anything in the world.

You wonder why everyone cares so much for you, why even people from thousands of miles away that never knew you, or those that you haven’t seen for many years reach out to you with their prayers, and offer to share your suffering. For those who didn’t make it to the 40thbirthday party I’ll repeat it again – you’re like George Bailey in It’s a Wonderful Life. All those years of giving, being there for others, and then finally it is your turn. You’re the only one surprised by it.

"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren," Jesus says, "ye have done it unto me."

Buena gente.

3 comments:

  1. Well written, Jason...Mrs Thompson would be so proud of her star student! You know how much we love Kelly! Praying for you guys...see you at the ballparks :)

    Amy, Chris, Carter, Katy and Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Jason, time to start writing your book.
    I love you, Stewart Family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason, I am Marc Cesare's sister, Gina. Please know your sweet family is in my prayers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete