Thursday, July 5, 2012

WOW!!!!!

Wow is the only word I can think of to describe the last few weeks.  It all started with vacation bible school at Prestonwood Baptist.  Pastor Marc Rylander asked me if he could share my story in one of his sermons.  Of course I said yes.  However, I really didn't expect to be there at all because my treatment was scheduled for that week.  It had already been 5 weeks of no chemo.  I just KNEW after receiving 5 booster shots, I would be in the chemo lounge all day and yucky all week.  I guess God had a big reason for putting off chemo for one more week.  I was able to see how God is using me to reach lots of kiddos and create new believers.  That Wedensday I walked into the church and there were Team Kelly shirts everywhere!  It's always overwhelming to see how many people are supporting me.  People I don't even know.  Pastor Marc shared my story with the 4th, 5th and 6th graders.  He wore his shirt and asked the question, "Got Hope?".  He told all those kids about my friend who has been with me all my life, Jesus.  He is my hope!  I just love that word...hope!!  Pastor Marc invited them to have the same hope that I have.  One hundred and eight decisions were made that day.  WOW!  What an incredible experience. It brought so many tears to my eyes to see kids asking for hope and praying not only for themselves but for me as well.  Kids are so full of love and compassion and are truly a gift from God.  While great things were happening at VBS, I had a tugging at my heart.  I was struggling with feelings of not wanting to be the center of attention or to take credit for all these new believers.  It was just too much.  I can't understand why people want to hear my story and pray for me when there are so many others with so much more pain and suffering.  What makes me different?  I was trying to explain my crazy feelings to Carol (my scribe who is making me write this ;)) and she asked me if I had read our devotion for that day.  Here is what it said...


I am creating something new in you; a bubbling spring of Joy that spills over into others' lives.  Do not mistake this Joy for your own or try to take credit for it in any way.  Instead, watch in delight as My Spirit flows through you to bless others.  Let yourself become a reservoir of the Spirit's fruit.


I love how this devotional speaks to me everyday! Did God write this just for me??!!


108 new believers















Now for more WOW moments. All my kids, my nephew plus a couple other close buddies went to Camp Wow in Oklahoma.  I was feeling good enough to join them and so happy I did.  My old college roomies and I bunked together.  Funny how you just pick up right where you left off.  Angela is still LOUD and Julie is still sweet.  Love these girls.  Loved my time with all of us together.  Pastor Marc, again, shared my story.  The theme of the week was built around the Olympics.  He spoke about life being a race and the endurance you need to run the race.  He shared how I am running a really hard race but I have Jesus as my endurance.  I have to agree with Pastor Marc, this is the hardest race I've ever had to run.  But even though it is hard, Jesus gives me endurance with every little blessing and miracle I see in all of you.  I feel blessed that I get to be God's tool to work in so many young people.  All of my own kids were touched in a big way.  My nephew and ben's close buddy both asked Jesus into their hearts that night.  It was amazing to be there with Julie and Angela and my kids praying with their cousin, Cole.  A moment I will never forget and will cherish always.  As much as I hate having to run this hard race, it makes it worth it when I see lives (especially kids) changed because of my story!  WOW!!





kids are the biggest prayer warriors!





































and the welcome back home rainbow cake...LOVE!!

Things I'm grateful for: 
sweet facebook messages (sorry for not responding, but I read and love them all!)
my very own song (thank you alex!)
Team Kelly vacation pics...so fun!
encouraging texts 
constant meals 
cards in the mail 
impromptu visits 
gifts
phone calls 
my sisters kim and carol - could not make it through a day without you!!
kevin and blake
grand and papaw
nana and pops
ken and sheila 
all the cousins!!! i love y'all to pieces!
family 
all my BFFs
all your BFFs that are praying for me too :)
pastor Marc
vbs at Prestonwood
vbs at sgbc!
cole and meg's papa.... thank you Larry for so many prayers!!
camp WOW
and for my kiddos......

Thank you, Will, for your big 14 year old heart!
Ben, it's impossible for you to love me more than I love you!
Sam, thanks for your big smile.  I love that face.
And Ella, you are my girl.  Thanks for loving me even without my hair.  I love that you see that what's inside is what really counts.  
And thank you, Jas, for laughing with me and crying with me and running this race with me.  You are my rock everyday!

Thank you, God, for opening my eyes to ALL the little blessings in our everyday lives.  I'm expecting a miracle!

Love you all bunches! 
see you at Peter Pan
~kelly

3 comments:

  1. So great to hear from you, Kelly! Carol's been an awesome scribe! It's so great that you all are allowing us to learn, grow, pray with others along this journey with you through the blog. Others always want to know how they can help and being able to stay updated with your progress HELPS! So, thanks for that! As for your journey and not wanting to be the center of attention...the devotion for that day was perfect! God is guiding you through this great challenge, but his Spirit is shining thru YOU and allowing us all to see HIS GRACE and GOODNESS...and allowing all those kids you are reaching see HIS GLORY! So, stay strong, feel the love and let HIS GLORY SHINE!
    Love, Kim Fenneman

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me smile!!! I am so proud of you and the whole family for all the love you share with the world. You inspire me, you make me want to smile more, give more, love more!!! Thanks for sharing your journey Kelly - it matters and effects so many!! Praise the Lord for that - and each and every one of you!!! Big Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly you are truly beautiful both inside and out. Reading your post today I am blown away and inspired by you more than you know! Rest, relax and know that God is in control - easier said than done, I know. It would be an honor to wear one of your wrist bands. Can I get one online via pay pal? xoxo Mary Griffitts

    ReplyDelete